- Location-based marketing encompasses four practices: geofencing, geotargeting, geoconquesting, and proximity-marketing.
- Keep it easy when describing location-based marketing to purchasers. “Confusion = no sale.”
- Show, don’t inform. Even when coping with “tech-savvy” purchasers. Data visualizations, demos, case research work.
- Be clear. What works for one enterprise won’t be appropriate for one more. Audience numbers won’t be big (however they don’t want to be).
In at present’s cell and omnichannel world, location-based marketing is seeing spectacular development with BIA/Kelsey predicting spend on the technique to surpass $31b within the US throughout 2020.
But there are limitations to adoption. Complex terminology and incorrect assumptions in regards to the expertise may cause confusion, not to point out stifle buy-in from managers and purchasers.
A brand new white paper and case research from Reveal Mobile set out to simplify location-based marketing and to clarify how digital gross sales groups can successfully sell it as a technique.
It is value trying out the complete doc (notably in case you are an Elvis fan!). But under are my takeaways on how we are able to talk the important thing particulars and worth of location-based marketing in essentially the most digestible means attainable.
Content produced in collaboration with Reveal Mobile.
four varieties of location-based marketing
It is comprehensible that these of us who’ve a passing curiosity in location-based marketing will know that it includes cell tech (largely telephones), location information (most frequently GPS), and alerting customers to marketing content material/advertisements when they’re or have been in a sure space.
This is definitely a part of the story, however as Reveal Mobile suggests, it is finest to view location-based marketing as an umbrella time period for four totally different actions. Having deal with on these and having the ability to describe them is a superb place to begin.
According to the whitepaper, they’re:
- Geofencing. There now! ‘Geofencing is making a digital barrier round a location. This can both be a radius round a big location, or a really particular constructing footprint. The phrase “geofencing” will also be used to refer to promoting when somebody enters that digital barrier. They could obtain an alert, push notification, or an advert inside a cell app based mostly upon that present location.’
- Geotargeting. Was there! ‘Geotargeting refers to delivering ads to people that were previously in a specific location. Said another way, geotargeting refers to serving ads based upon historical location visits to points-of-interest, rather than serving ads based upon the current real-time location.’
- Geoconquesting. At a competitor! ‘Geoconquesting refers to serving ads to people when they are currently in, or were previously in, a competitor’s location or places.’
- Proximity-marketing. Really shut! ‘This tactic uses technology such as beacons or NFC to trigger ad delivery, alerts, or content to a smartphone that is within just a few feet of a specific location.’
Keeping it easy
When attempting to sell location-based marketing and advert expertise, Reveal Mobile’s mantra is:
“Stay above the glass.”
The whitepaper warns us not to get too deep into the expertise itself when describing it to purchasers and potential stakeholders. Topics reminiscent of information flows, ingestion, and enrichment are fascinating however they will steer focus away from the worth of the technique and trigger pointless confusion.
Remember: confusion = no sale.
Analytics and information which is straightforward to visualize is finest. Case research are nice too.
Dealing with “tech savvy” purchasers
It is greater than attainable that a few of these purchasers with a greater understanding of the expertise utilized in location-based marketing will probably be eager to ask detailed questions.
Reveal Mobile suggests first understanding the basis of their queries. This can usually be associated to previous experiences with comparable tech, or may be down to not absolutely understanding the variations and specifics of the four varieties of location-based marketing we described above.
Again, one of the simplest ways is to present relatively than inform. Demos of the expertise in motion are helpful right here. So are useful digital consultants and product members who can help you in strolling the consumer via the instruments. But bear in mind…
Honesty and transparency are key
Importantly, not all potential purchasers and campaigns are alike. Pitches want to be tailor-made to the sectors wherein purchasers are working, in addition to to the dimensions of price range they’ve to work with.
This lays the groundwork for what’s achievable and what ought to change into the precedence of a location-based marketing marketing campaign.
Another key factor to take into account for location-based marketing – notably when coping with native, hyperlocal and proximity focusing on – is that viewers numbers are sometimes smaller than what purchasers are used to with different varieties of digital campaigns reminiscent of social media marketing.
It is necessary to keep in mind that location-based marketing leans extra in direction of high-value messaging to high-intent audiences on the proper time and place. Additionally, it shouldn’t be handled as a standalone tactic – however, relatively, a focused software to be used along with different methods which supply extra scale.
Location-based marketing doesn’t want to be sophisticated
Remember, location-based marketing is just not one factor. Rather, it is an umbrella time period for four comparable practices: geofencing, geotargeting, geoconquesting, and proximity marketing.
From the outset, when attempting to talk the worth of location-based marketing strive and maintain issues easy. Stay above the glass and keep in mind that confused purchasers are much less possible to purchase in.
Technical questions will come up. But strive to perceive the basis of those queries and attempt to present relatively than inform. This is finest performed by way of using demos and enter from different crew members who may need a bit extra know-how.
Perhaps most significantly, be clear. Location-based marketing is just not a one-size-fits-all technique for each kind of enterprise. Understand how it can profit particular goals of the consumer in query and be sincere in regards to the numbers and worth of the audiences you might be looking for to goal.
To get a extra in-depth view on how location-based marketing may also help in your favor, obtain the whitepaper from right here.